Coronavirus: 684 more COVID-19 deaths in UK – bringing total to 3,605

Kindly share this:

Coronavirus: 684 more COVID-19 deaths in UK - bringing total to 3,605

Another 684 people have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus – bringing the total number of Covid-19 deaths in UK to 3,605.

The number of deaths, tallied in the 24 hours up to 5pm on Thursday, marks the largest increase so far, with the previous day recording 569 people.

The Department of Health said as of 9am on Friday, 38,168 people had tested positive for the virus across the UK.

Number of deaths in each country, as reported by each home nation:

Scotland: 46 more deaths – a total of 172

Wales: 24 more deaths – a total of 141

England: 604 more deaths – a total of 3,302

Northern Ireland: 12 more deaths (doubled in a day) – a total of 48

The Department of Health compiles its figures from data supplied by the four countries’ health agencies, who then release their own figures, often taking into account more deaths and figures.

NHS England said the newly confirmed deaths were patients aged between 24 and 100-years-old, with 34 of the patients – aged between 27 and 92 – having no known underlying health conditions.

SEE ALSO: BREAKING: Nigeria’s coronavirus cases rise to 190

London has seen many more deaths than anywhere else but the Midlands is now catching up, with 150 deaths recorded in the new figures, while 161 were in London.

The next highest is the northwest, with 88 deaths, followed by the east of England with 66 and the northeast and Yorkshire with 62. The southeast of englandhad 41 and the southwest 36.

As the number of deaths and cases increased, Boris Johnson announced he would not be coming out of self-isolation on Friday as he still has a temperature.

The prime minister had been self-isolating in his Downing Street flat after testing positive for coronavirus last Friday.

Health secretary Matt Hancock returned to work on Friday after recovering from coronavirus for the opening of the NHS Nightingale Hospital in east London.

Prince Charles officially opened the hospital via video link from his home in Scotland, thanking all those who have transformed the ExCeL Centre into a 4,000 bed hospital in just nine days.

 

 

Source: Sky News

Kindly share this:

Author: abokimallamfx