Do you know that you can still have access to Twitter when it’s blocked?
It doesn’t matter who blocked your twitter access, whether it’s the government of your country (as Nigeria just did), work or school, you can still have access to it and here we shall reveal how you can achieve that.
You can unblock access to Twitter using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Now if you are wondering which VPNs are best for the job and how to install it or perhaps you are interested in knowing more about free VPN, this article will provide you with those answers as made available by comparitech analysis of existing VPNs.
Twitter, is used by millions of people globally to express their views, share updates, information and as well for marketing of products and services.
However, this microblogging platform, in certain places have been blocked for different reasons. Workplaces, schools and countries restrict access because of Twitter’s potential to distract concentration of staff and students. Twitter has also been used to galvanize support and organize protests against unpopular decisions and government policies.
If you currently have restrictions in accessing Twitter, then your best bet is to use a VPN to unblock the service.
A VPN hides your location by encrypting all the traffic flowing to and from your device and passing it through an intermediary server making it difficult for ISPs, network administrators and security/spy agencies to monitor your web activities.
Below is a list of the best Twitter VPNs to use.
The VPNs best suited for Twitter
These VPNs have been ranked based on the following criteria:
- Speed and stability of service
- Large number of server locations in Europe and North America
- Strong encryption parameters so your location remains hidden
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Number of simultaneous connections so you can share with friends and family
- Ease of use
Whether you want a Twitter VPN on Android, iPhone or PC, you can choose from any of the VPNs on this list.
- NordVPN: Vast network of blazing fast servers that retain your privacy. Unblocks most restricted content and is secure. Includes 30-day money back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Unblocks Twitter with ease. Good range of security features. Allows any number of simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: Fast and reliable network that unblocks Twitter wherever it is restricted. Privacy and security features are high-grade and apps are easy to use.
- CyberGhost: Good choice for beginners. Easy to use. Apps have solid security and privacy features.
- IPVanish: No issues circumventing Twitter blocks. Fast and secure servers.
- VyprVPN: Low latency with solid security and privacy. Cheaper options on this list.
- ZenMate: Great for unblocking Twitter but for streaming or downloading look elsewhere on this list.
Is a free VPN recommendable to unblock Twitter?
Free VPNs are heavily advertised on the internet. Most don’t require credit card details at the time of signup and certainly do their best to appeal to users.
However, such free VPN providers offer much lower service than paid providers offer. In the free VPN, there are bandwidth throttling, limited server choices, and data caps. It also takes a longer time to connect on the free VPN if there are lots of people trying to connect at the same time.
Israel-based Hola is an example of free VPN extension that decided to create a botnet army with their users’ bandwidth.
When you eventually do connect successfully, you are faced with navigating through the several advertisements and popups thrown at you which makes your user experience frustrating.
Some free VPNs have been caught inserting tracking cookies in browsers, mining user data, and selling it to third-party advertisers.
The use of free VPNs comes with very unpleasant experience and a risk to its users, and therefore not recommendable.
How do I set-up Twitter using a VPN?
Setting up a VPN is quick and easy on iPhone, Android or a desktop computer. Below is a simple step-by-step guide to set-up your VPN.
Here’s how to unblock Twitter with a VPN:
- Choose a suitable VPN service that can unblock Twitter. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the appropriate VPN app for your device. Most VPNs offer Android, iPhone and desktop apps.
- Open the VPN app and browse through the server locations and try to select a country/location that’s not too far from you geographically and doesn’t have a history of blocking Twitter.
- You should now be able to use Twitter like you normally would at home!
Twitter not working with a VPN on your browser? Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies then reloading the page.