The University of Newcastle, Australia’s “The Africa Excellence Scholarship” is a merit-based scholarship structured to attract high-performing African students to study at the university. It is awarded to applicants with an outstanding academic background and offers them incentives to continue to aspire to excel in their chosen field.
Students who have received an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will commence studying with the University of Newcastle are eligible for automatic scholarship awards.
To qualify for selection for the Africa Excellence Scholarship 2023 at the University of Newcastle, you will need to:
- Hold a passport from one of the 54 countries of Africa.
- Be commencing study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained from the university.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee-paying international student, including the full tuition fee and other expenses for the purpose of obtaining your student visa, and in the event, that eligibility for the scholarship is not maintained.
Required Documents for Application
The documents required are listed on the ‘Your Documents’ page on the application portal. Only PDF documents are accepted.
The scholarship has a value of AU$ 10,000 for each year of study under a standard full-time study load of 80 units. For each term of study in your eligible program(s), payment will be applied directly to your student account as a tuition fee reduction. The amount applied is on a pro-rata basis and will be adjusted according to approved reduced study load, credit exemptions, progression, or enrolment above full-time study load.
Method of Selection
Upon application to the university (where eligibility criteria are met), scholarships are automatically applied for. You do not have to apply separately for this scholarship.
The scholarship is offered based on academic merits which are determined according to the University’s procedures for determining ATAR and GPA.
Applicants who are successful will receive notification of the value of their scholarship with their Letter of Offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if they do not wish to accept.
Quota programs excluded from this scholarship are:
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Nuclear Medicine)
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Radiation Therapy)
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Podiatry.
Internal transfer students who are studying at an Australian or Online campus and were not previously awarded the scholarship will also not be eligible.
Students studying quota-limited programs will not be eligible for this scholarship
The University of Newcastle Scholarship Contact Details
University of Newcastle
University Drive, Callaghan NSW 2308
Phone: + 61 2 4913 8300
For more information, see the full Terms and Conditions.